The dry winter air is known to cause less than perfect skin. Each year, come winter, there are low temperatures and low humidity . What this weather does is basically suck out all the moisture in your skin and lips, leaving them dry and cracked. Ick! I have some tips that I thought I would share for all you women (and men) to help you guys out.
1. Hot water is a huge factor in dry skin. If you are like me and refuse to take a cooler shower, try using cooler water when washing your face instead.
2. Obviously, a main daily routine should be moisturizing, but here is a tip when doing so. I read a while back that when you moisturize straight out of the shower, while your skin is still damp, your skin will absorb the moisture much better.
3. Leave the soap for your body only! Regular bar soaps are known to cause dry skin and when using them on your face you are basically taking the moisture out of your face.
4. Lips- I am a huge user of Vaseline and Blistex. These two will always keep your lips nice and smooth. Vaseline will leave a film on your lips so I recommend using only a dab or leaving it for bedtime.
5. Vaseline for feet. I know it sounds weird but Vaseline is a great way to relieve cracked feet. *Men.. Vaseline and a pair of socks are all you need to cure those nasty heels!
6. You can also use aloe, provitamin-A, beta-carotene, amino acids, and omega-3 fatty acids which are all very good for your skin in general.
7. Exfoliate 2-3 times a week, but no more than that. Exfoliating too much will break down your skin leaving it even dryer.
8. Use a humidifier. Moisture in the air will help your skin condition improve drastically!
9. Hair oil- use this for a dry scalp. Dandruff is not pretty and in the winter your scalp and hair become particularly dry as well.
10. Last tip- Remember that you shouldn’t use the same moisturizer for your face as you do for your body. You need to use separate facial moisturizers and body moisturizers because the skin on your face is very sensitive. Also, you do not want to break out which is a big risk when using body moisturizer on your face.
Remember that all skin types are different and all of my tips may not be the best for you. If your skin is still not in the shape you want it to be I recommend getting it checked out by a dermatologist. Hope these tips help you get through the winter!